Winter Break 2019- Office Hours:

9:00 AM - 5:00 PM,  December 10th - 20th
Office Closed: Dec. 23rd  -  Jan. 1st  |  Reopening on January 2nd

Federal Work Study Salary Information

Will my FWS award count as a deferment?

NO. The FWS allotment represents money that can be earned. It cannot be considered as a deferment for tuition and housing purposes.

What happens if my earnings reach my maximum award?

It is yours and your supervisor’s responsibility to monitor your FWS usage and ensuring that you do not earn more than your FWS award total. If you reach the maximum award your employer has the option of either switching you to their departmental budget or ending your assignment altogether.

How will I be paid?

Individual departments hire FWS students, but the Student Financial Assistance (SFA) office sets the award and hourly wage. Once the employer receives a copy of the student’s Class Schedule, a work schedule can be determined by the student and the employer. Timesheets are maintained and submitted through the employer biweekly. Students receive a paycheck for hours worked every two weeks.

Below are the updated Federal Work Study Salary Rates beginning the Spring 2017 term which starts on 12/30/16.


Salary Job Type
$9.00 Clerical Duties
$9.00 Data Entry Clerk
$9.00 Receptionist
$9.00 Customer Service
$9.25 Lab/Staff Assistant
$9.50 Tutoring
$10.00 Computer Lab Assistant
$10.00 Research Assistant
$10.25 Computer Technician
$10.25 Technical Support
$11.25 Community Service – ON CAMPUS
$11.25 Community Service – OFF CAMPUS
$12.75 Graduate Student Assistants
$9.00 – $12.00 Internship (FWEP)


Student Financial Aid (SFA) determines the salaries based on the job descriptions that departments submit.

  • Full-time enrollment may avoid FICA, FUTA, and all other appropriate taxes from being taken out of your paycheck if you qualify for exemption and write “Exempt” on your W-4 form next to the year (ask your employer for this form).
  • It is at the employer’s discretion to give a $0.15 to $0.50 raise per year based on a Student Employment Evaluation.
  • Students may view their earnings statement and payroll information on the myUCF website.
    When transferring from one FWS job to the next, your employer has the right to set your pay rate at the previous rate or at the starting salary for the new position (whether it is at a higher or lower rate of pay). Community Service salaries do not transfer to regular FWS jobs.