Florida Academic Scholars (FLAS) new legislation – FAQ
- What is the new award amount for Florida Academic Scholars (FAS)?
Academic Scholars will receive an award equal to 100% of tuition and applicable fees.
The 2017-2018 tuition and applicable fees for 1 credit hour is $212.28
- What fees are covered by the FAS award?
Applicable fees include: activity and service fee, health fee, athletic fee, financial aid fee, capital improvement fee, transportation fee (SUS only), technology fee and tuition differential fee.
- How many hours does a student needs to be enrolled in order to receive the additional $300 book and college-related expenses amount?
A student must be enroll in at least 6 credit hours in order to receive it. The $300 is only available to FAS recipients for fall and spring terms.
- How should the award amount be calculated?
#___ of credit hours enrolled X $212.28 = $ ___+ $300.00 Book and
College related expenses = $ ___ FLAS award amount
- Is the student required to return the $300 if courses are dropped or withdrawn?
A student who drop or withdraw from courses is not required to repay the $300, unless the student withdraws from all classes during the term.
- Will the Bright Futures Florida Academic Scholars be funded during summer?
Yes. Students will be disbursed an award if enrolled summer 2018. However, the amount of $300 book and college-related expenses will not available.
- Will the Bright Futures Medallion Scholars be funded during summer?
No. Only Academic Scholars will be disbursed an award if enrolled summer 2018.
- May FAS eligible graduate students be funded during the summer?
Yes. An FAS scholarship recipient who qualifies for one semester of graduate study funding, may have the one semester be the summer term.
- The award amount will be calculated based on the undergraduate tuition rate of $212.28.
- The amount of $300 for book and college-related expenses will only be available during fall or spring term, not 2018 summer term.