Office Hours:
Summer 2018  -  9:00AM to 5:00PM daily
Millican Hall, Room 107

IRS & Obtaining Tax Information

How to request an IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter?

Beginning with the 2017-18 award year, the IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter will be required if student, spouse, if applicable, or parent(s) indicate on the FAFSA and/or the Verification Worksheet that a 2015 IRS Tax Return was not filed. Each nontax filer is required to provide the letter.

Step-by-step instructions: How to obtain the IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter
This service is offered free of charge by the IRS and can be obtained through three different options:

  • Online
  • By Telephone
  • By Paper

If you and/or your parents have never filed taxes with the IRS, the IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter must be requested by mail using the paper version of the IRS Form 4506-T available at You will need to print, complete, sign and send the form by mail or fax to the IRS.

Residents of the Freely Associated States (Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia), or a U.S. territory or commonwealth (Puerto Rico) or a foreign central government who are not required to file an income tax return under that taxing authority’s rules must submit the following:

  • A signed statement indicating person was not required to file taxes in 2015 by their tax authority and the name of the country where he/she resided in 2015
  • Documentation of all of the individual’s earned income for 2015
  • Each non-filer listed on the verification worksheet must provide a statement. Please include the name of the non-filer, the student’s name and UCFID.

Step-by-step instructions: How to obtain the IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter

What if I and/or my parent(s) filed for an extension?

An individual who is required to file a 2015 IRS income tax return and has been granted a filing extension by the IRS, must provide all the items below:

  • A copy of IRS Form 4868, ‘‘Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,’’ that was filed with the IRS for tax year 2015;
  • A copy of the IRS’s approval of an extension beyond the automatic six-month extension if the individual requested an additional extension of the filing time for tax year 2015;
  • Verification of Non-filing Letter (confirmation that the tax return has not yet been filed) from the IRS or other relevant tax authority dated on or after October 1, 2016;
  • A copy of IRS Form W–2 for each source of employment income received for tax year 2015 and,
  • If self-employed, a signed statement certifying the amount of the individual’s Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and the U.S. income tax paid for tax year 2015.

Without the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, what do I do?

IRS Data Retrieval Tool is offline until the start of the next FAFSA season (October 2017).

Per federal regulations copies of tax returns (IRS Forms 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ) cannot be accepted to verify tax information. You must provide copies of your and/or your parent(s) 2015 tax return transcript(s) obtained from the IRS. There are three ways to request the tax return transcript from the IRS.

  • Online at under the Tools section, click on “Get a Tax Transcript”, then click on “Get Transcript by Mail”
  • By telephone at 1-800-908-9946
  • By mail using IRS Form 4506-T-EZ

** Be sure to order the “Tax Return Transcript” which provides the line-by-line information from your filed tax return.