2017-2018 Dependent Verification of Tax Information

Who must provide verification of tax information?

You must submit the verification of tax information if you were selected for verification, and on your ‘To Do List” you have listed:

  • St’s Verification of 2015 Tax Information (Student’s tax information)


  • Pt’s Verification of 2015 Tax Information (parent(s)/step-parent’s tax information)


o   If your parents were divorced or separated on the day you filed the FAFSA, you would use the parent with whom you lived with the most in the 12 months before filing the FAFSA. If you lived with neither parent in those 12 months, you would use the parent that provided the greatest financial support in those 12 months or the most recent year in which you received support.

o   If the parent you are using was remarried on the day you filed the FAFSA, you must also provide the information for the step-parent.

o   If your parents (regardless of gender) are not married to each other and live together, you must provide financial information for both parents.

Without the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, what do I do?

IRS Data Retrieval Tool is offline until the start of the next FAFSA season (October 2017).

In lieu of using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or obtaining an IRS transcript, effective April 24, 2017, students and/or parents can submit a signed paper copy of the 2015 IRS tax return (IRS Forms 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ) as acceptable documentation to verify tax return information. If a copy of the tax return is not available, a 2015 tax return transcript is also acceptable. There are three ways to request the tax return transcript from the IRS.

  • Online at www.irs.gov under the Tools section, click on “Get a Tax Transcript”, then click on “Get Transcript by Mail”
  • By telephone at 1-800-908-9946
  • By mail using IRS Form 4506-T-EZ

** Be sure to order the “Tax Return Transcript” which provides the line-by-line information from your filed tax return.

What if I and/or my parent(s) were not required AND will not file a tax return?

Students and/or parent(s) can submit a completed and signed Dependent Verification Worksheet to certify that s/he has not filed and is not required to file a 2015 income tax return, along with a copy of all 2015 W-2’s or equivalent documents for each source of employment.

If income from work was earned in 2015 and the W-2’s are not available:

  • Request a “Wage and Income Transcript” from the IRS. You will need to complete the Form 4506-T available at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf or contact your employer or previous employer and request a new copy.

What if I and/or my parent(s) filed for an extension, but as of today, I/we have not filed the 2015 tax return?

Note: 2015 IRS Tax Return extension deadline expired on October 15, 2016.

An individual who was required to file a 2015 IRS income tax return and was granted a filing extension by the IRS, must provide all the items below:

  • A copy of IRS Form 4868, ‘‘Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,’’ that was filed with the IRS for tax year 2015;
  • A copy of the IRS’s approval of an extension beyond the automatic six-month extension;
  • Verification of Non-filing Letter (confirmation that the tax return has not yet been filed) from the IRS or other relevant tax authority dated on or after October 1, 2016;
  • A copy of IRS Form W–2 for each source of employment income received for tax year 2015 and,
  • If self-employed, a signed statement certifying the amount of the individual’s Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and the U.S. income tax paid for tax year 2015.

If the verification process was completed in 2017-2016 with 2015 estimated tax information and aid was already disbursed, the student and/or parent is required to submit the  2015 tax return transcript. A copy of the 2015 tax return will not be acceptable. Failure to submit verification of tax information will result in the cancellation of future aid as well as the collection of any aid that has already disbursed.

What if I and/or my parent(s) filed an amendment (IRS Form 1040X) to the original tax return?

You should submit ALL of the following:

  • A signed copy of the 2015 original tax return or an IRS Tax Return Transcript that includes information from the original tax return OR any other IRS tax transcript that includes all income and tax information from the original tax return required for verification such as a Record of Account Transcript, a Return Transcript for Taxpayer (RTFTP), or an Information Returns Processing Transcript Request—Wages (IRPTR-W), and
  • A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X that was filed with the IRS.

What if I and/or my parent(s) were victim of identity theft?

Submit a signed copy of the 2015 tax return.


What if I and/or my parent(s) did not file a U.S. tax return, but did file outside of the U.S. or in a U.S. territory?

If you and/or your parent(s) filed a 2015 tax return in a foreign country or in a U.S. territory such as Puerto Rico, please submit signed copies of the 2015 foreign tax returns with dollar amounts converted to U. S. currency or the territory’s 2015 tax return.