Office Hours:
Summer 2018  -  9:00AM to 5:00PM daily
Millican Hall, Room 107

Conflicting Information Frequently Asked Questions

What is conflicting information?

Conflicting information occurs when the financial aid office is made aware of discrepancies on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Why does it seem like I am hearing more about conflicting information this year?

The 2017-2018 FAFSA is the first time the FAFSA has used financial information from 2 years prior. As a result, tax and financial information from 2015 is used for the 2016-2017 FAFSA and the 2017-2018 FAFSA. If certain information on one FAFSA does not match the other FAFSA, then it is possible for conflicting information to be present. Some examples of conflicting information include reporting different amounts in the following categories on the 2016-2017 FAFSA and the 2017-2018 FASFA: Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), taxes paid, number of exemptions, child support received or paid in 2015, deferred tax pension, and other untaxed income.

How will I know that there is conflicting information on my 2017-2018 FAFSA?

The Student Aid Report (SAR) is provided to students after the FAFSA is submitted. The SAR will include a comment code (labeled 399) notifying the student of conflicting information. Additionally, the Office of Student Financial Assistance will notify students via the To Do List and an email will be sent to Knight’s Mail. Specific information needed to resolve conflicting information will be listed on the To Do List.

How does conflicting information impact my financial aid disbursement?

All financial aid disbursements are halted until the conflicting information has been resolved. No aid will disburse until the requested information has been reviewed by the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

Can conflicting information impact my financial aid award amounts?

Yes, if there is a discrepancy on either FAFSA that requires correcting; your financial aid awards for the 2016-2017 and/or 2017-2018 year may be adjusted accordingly. This includes the potential for reducing or cancelling awards.

What if my aid has already disbursed and it is reduced or canceled as a result of conflicting information?

If your financial aid awards that have already disbursed and are reduced and/or canceled, you will be have a balance on your student account. You are responsible for rendering payment to the University for the amount for which you are no longer eligible.

What happens if I have conflicting information and I have been selected for verification?

Students who have conflicting information and have been selected for verification must complete verification before aid eligibility can be determined. Students with conflicting information who are selected for verification for the 2017-2018 aid year must complete the verification process to receive financial aid disbursements for the 2016-2017 year.

How will I know a change has been made to the information I submitted on a FAFSA?

If the Office of Student Financial Assistance makes a change to a FAFSA on file, you will receive an email notification sent to their Knight’s Mail account. Additionally, the Federal Central Processor will send an email notification if any changes are made to a FAFSA you have filed.

What is the 2016-2017 aid year?

The 2016-2017 aid year includes Fall 2016, Spring 2017 and Summer 2017.

What is the 2017-2018 aid year?

The 2017-2018 aid year includes Fall 2017, Spring 2018 and Summer 2018.